Monday, February 11, 2008

Bang Boys


I was walking to my apartment building when I saw two boys headed my way...
They looked younger...
they looked local.
As they got closer, I saw that one had a red bandanna wrapped around his head, and his clothes had red thread in them...
The older of the two.
I remembered watching a news special on Valdosta High School and it's gangs...about how they were initiating younger people and blah...
They got closer to me, the older one moved to the side on the sidewalk, and our eyes connected as he passed me.
He looked away as he adjusted his bandanna and they passed me...
I felt sorry for them.
Maybe I'm making assumptions, but what if my assumptions are right?
What if he is in a gang? What if his younger brother's looking up to him, and the gang life is all he knows?
I've been there- involved with gangs, and going the wrong way...
then I made a complete turn- peep the irony.
They were walking the opposite way of me...
Me- headed to my apartment to study,
Them- headed nowhere- fast?
I just wish I could turn them around and take them with me, and show them there is more to life than a red bandanna.
I remember when my bandanna was the most important thing to me...
You would fight over it, get overly angry if something were to happen to it.
A 'flag'...
And then I turned around and realized it was nothing but a 99 cent red piece of cloth...
I want to help kids who are in need of my help and inspiration. I want to turn them around so they can walk this way- walk with me.
No more of my little brothers will be lost to this war of colors and drugs...
I need to do something about it.

Peace & Blessings
Lucius McCall

1 comment:

crazybeautiful said...

this is how i feel. doing something about it is what i plan to devote my life to. saving people. saving the world. as crazy and farfetched as it sounds, i can't see me doing anything more meaningful with my life. im not in school, im learning life by experience. the texts i send out in the morning are things I have learned... not just for fun or happenstance, you know? all the things i go through, i am able to talk about it, no matter how hard because i can potentially save someone from falling into the hole. and save myself so that next time, i can walk around instead. anyone can WANT to help but not everyone will. it takes time. courage. effort. you know the song How To Save A Life by The Fray? i just want to save lives while i'm living. i want to spread love and get acquainted with peace. love is how you stay alive after you are gone. peace and love Lu!
x crazybeautiful
KandaceEstee