Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Stereotype {Jack}



Jack

What the hell was I supposed to do?
Where could I turn?
My mother was dying from breast cancer, I was getting evicted from my apartment, my car broke down, I was out of a job and nobody would hire me. I had under a hundred dollars to my name, with no idea of where I could get more money. I couldn’t even buy a train pass. To keep from risking jail time by jumping over the railing to get a free ride home, I asked around for some change. It was late, and there weren’t much people around, so I was stuck with just asking the very few people that walked by.
My luck wasn’t looking too hot.
Everybody told me no, each excuse matching the one before it- they didn’t have change, cash, an extra token, blah, blah, blah. I remember being in their shoes before when people would ask me for some money and I would always deny them due to the fact that I was stingy, or I was just too damn lazy to reach into my pocket.
Karma is a bitch, aint it?
Just like life.
I really wished they were in my shoes so they could see how desperate I was.
Time was running, and it was getting colder. Nobody walked by me for some time.
I felt so pitiful, so low.
Begging?
I would have never thought I’d be a damn beggar.
How humiliating…
Finally I saw three black guys coming my way. They certainly didn’t look like they had any extra money, and I was about to just let them pass by, but I figured I should try my luck.
The worst I could get was a no, right?
“Hey my brothers,” I approached them reluctantly. They stopped and looked at me. “Do you have any change I can use to get on this train?”
They looked at each other, and immediately started to dig in their pockets. I was relieved that there was a chance, but I didn’t get my hopes up.
A second later, a dollar fifty was in my hand- the price of a train ride.
I thanked God, and then thanked them.
They started to walk to the gates, sliding their Breeze cards and easing through the railings when they opened. I guess these guys rode the train all the time. People that hardly rode the train used change, or tokens to ride. I inserted my money and slid through the railing. I went down some stairs, and saw the three boys running towards a train. I didn’t feel like running, but I didn’t know if another one would be coming soon after, so I started to run. One of the guys held the door open for me with his body as it started to close.
Two favors…that were much needed.
I thanked them again, and looked for a seat on the empty train.
The train as empty as my mind…
I needed a blunt.
I sat towards the back of the car alone, and rested my head on the back of the seat in front of me. I closed my eyes and started to think.
I wanted to think positively, but there was nothing positive going on in my life.
Nothing.
The only thing that held a chance of being positive was the fact that I was still breathing…
But was that positive?
To be honest, sometimes I felt that I’d rather die than live this life…
I pulled out my pocket knife and started to finger it.
Times like this make you want to rob somebody…kill somebody.
Take their happiness.
I just didn’t understand how some people could just have everything they ever wanted, and then some had to suffer. Why did I have to be one of the suffering? Did I deserve this?
I looked up to check out my surroundings.
There were the three guys I got the money from, and beyond them was a white guy on the other end of the train. I didn’t notice him when I first got on. I focused my vision on him.
He seemed to be a typical upper class male. The guy you saw when ‘white guy’ crossed your mind. The rich, the happy, the ‘how about those Yankees, Bill?’ type of guy. I wondered why he was on the train this late. Why was he even on the train? Where was his chauffer? He looked like he just walked out of a damn photo shoot.
He knew no pain.
He knew nothing about being without.
He probably had things brought to him on a silver platter by a butler named Farnsworth.
I looked at him with hatred in my eyes, and then I realized that he shared the same stare for the black boys sitting across from him.
I noticed how he would stare at them, and then as soon as one of them would look his way, he’d turn his gaze towards something else.
What a racist prick.
I was about to put my head down until I heard one of the guys say something to him.
I tried to listen, but I couldn’t really hear- due to the fact that they were on the other side of the car. I rested my head back on the seat.
The negative thoughts returned.
I needed money.
What would I do about getting money?
What could I do?
Nobody would hire me due to the priors on my records, and I had no transportation to even get anywhere.
What could I do?
The train stopped.
I looked up in time to see the three boys exit the train. They looked bothered. I looked at the white guy, and he gave me a smirk. The smirk told me that he probably said something smart to set the three guys off. He popped earphones from an Ipod into his ear.
I didn’t like that guy.
I didn’t like the way he was looking at the black dudes as if they were the scum of the Earth. I didn’t like how he seemed to think he was better than them; better than me.
I didn’t like that he seemed to have what I wanted.
I needed money- what could I do?
I finally knew.
I contemplated as we neared the last stop.
Was it worth it? Do I need to do this? Would I get much?
Every answer seemed to lean towards a yes.
I didn’t need to think about it…I just needed to do it.
He had money, so he would just get a scare. Then he’d bounce back.
Finally, the last stop. My heart started pounding.
This world wasn’t for me. Why was it for him?
He got up and left the train. I also exited.
Why did he deserve to have what I wanted?
He probably had a grand on him, if not- a credit card with no limit.
I followed him to the parking deck where you could park your cars, and then ride the bus or train. He had a relaxed stroll as if he had no worries in the world. That’s usually how rich people were. They didn’t have a care.
I saw his hands strumming an imaginary guitar as I got closer.
I sped up behind him, and it wasn’t until I almost stepped on him that he realized I was there. He looked behind him, saw me there, and jumped as if he were startled.
“Oh my God, it’s you!” He exclaimed. He pulled out an earpiece. “Wow. For a second I thought you were one of those three black guys on the train. I was scared for a little bit, but I knew they wouldn’t do anything to me with you on the train. What’s up, bro?”
The ignorance that poured out of his mouth sealed the deal.
“Give me your money.” I demanded. “Bro.” I added.
“Huh?” He looked confused as if he didn't understand- as if this could never happen to him. Oh, the naïve.
“Give me your fucking money!” I raised my voice, and pulled my knife out of my pocket and showed it to him. “I’m not playing. I don’t have time for this. Give me the iPod, and your money. Now!”
His expression changed from flabbergasted to petrified.
I stayed my place, and demanded what I wanted once again.
He took his time taking off the other iPod earplug.
“Hurry the fuck up! I have no time to waste!” I looked around to make sure there was nobody else around. The parking lot was clear.
“Empty your pockets, man. Empty them! I want the iPod too, man.”
He gave me the iPod, and I stuffed it into my pocket. He took out his wallet, and it dropped from his hands. As I kneeled down to get it, he took off running.
I snatched up the wallet, and started to chase him, and then changed my mind.
Why chase him down? I got what I wanted.
I got what I needed.
I frantically looked around to see if there were any witnesses.
I saw no one.
I started to run.
I ran until I got out of the Marta station, and I ran some more.
I ran until I was blocks away, and the deed was behind me- yet the evidence in my hands.
I leaned against a sign to catch my breath.
Opening the wallet, my chest heaving, I was excited to see what I retrieved. I knew I had to have enough to get me off my feet- at least give me a little push towards helping myself.
I peered inside the brown wallet, and didn’t see much. An ID, some coupons, some cards, and a hundred dollar bill.
A hundred dollars?
What the hell?
Was the guy not rich? He looked like he modeled for Prada!
A disappointment.
A waste of time.
I needed to get home before the cops started to look for me. I’d be damned if I went to prison for a hundred dollars.
I backed away from the sign so I could see where I was.
Northside Drive is what the sign read.

Lucius McCall

1 comment:

Ms.Tooty said...

This story is great!!! I love it. I feel like this is the reenactment of Crash with a twist. I am ready to read the rest of the story. The only excerpt that was not completely clear was Jack. Is he white or black? I'm assuming white since Tyler appeared comfortable being alone with Jack. Make it a little more clear and other than that the story was GREAT!!