Friday, July 11, 2008

My reach...

I went to church with a friend this past Sunday, and I observed my surroundings...
Ever since being in Valdosta, I've come up with this view of the locals here- they're all mutant scum thugs who hate the students...It seems that you're only safe on campus, and once you leave campus, you're risking your happiness.

Take it from me, and my multiple experiences with these locals...

It seems that unless you're on campus, or in church you're in the den of the monsters...
--and they will try to eat you.
But anyway, this post is not to bash the locals- because the locals who attend the surrounding churches seem so different. I feel the positive energy, the love, the embrace...and I love it. It shows that there are some Valdosta natives who won't try to slit your face ear to ear...
--literally.
But once again, that's not my purpose of this post...
As I was in church, I saw young men who were walking around and speaking to everyone, glowing, and looking so positive. The old ladies hugged them, and pinched their cheeks. They looked like future students...kids that were raised right, and were ignorant to the ignorance...
I admired them, and hoped that they would remain on the right track.
It feels good to know that there are alot of young children who're starting off right...it makes me smile when I think about there being a chance of a generation of strong, smart, black men who take care of their responsibilities...something that's rare these days.
I smiled at them.
As church started, a young man- maybe about 10, 11- came and was placed by me, and he seemed to have this angry expression upon his face. Anger and despise poured from his expression...as if he hated church and everyone in it.
As soon as the sermon started, he pulled out his phone.
He wasn't interested in the least.
When someone looked back at him, he stared them down, and muttered obscenities under his breath.
My first reaction was to turn my back to him, shun him, and pay attention to what was going on up front.
That instinct dissolved quickly, and I realized that that's what everybody does to these kids. Nobody tried to have patience with them and lend them a helping hand...they just punish them and turn their backs to them, spreading their favoritism to the 'good' kids...the choir kids, the kids getting all As.
I used to be that child...A 'bad john', the kid who was always wild and had to get his way. Always fighting, always disobeying...
People told my mother to throw some pills at me and call it a day.
She didn't...she stayed there at my side and had patience with me, and I thank her for that everyday. When EVERYONE in the world turned their backs to me- including my father, she stayed by my side to support me, and teach me the right thing- even after everyone lost their hope.
I thank her for that. For being there for me, and also passing on that trait of patience. I now refuse to turn my back on any young brothers...because a simple conversation can change his life forever.

"My brother's struggle is my struggle, so I refuse to turn my back and leave
I'm trying to connect with my brothers, not sit on a pedestal and preach
It's sad cuz I can touch em, but it seems I can't reach em
The world's so quick to cuff em, yet so reluctant to teach...ummm...?"-- Lucius McCall (SAGGIN)
Peace & Blessings
Lu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i absolutly hate (Im not one to say hate often) when you bash on locals. I don't even call locals locals. They are residents of valdosta just like you. There are and ALWAYS will be a small percentage that seems to "bring down" and add negativity to the group as an entirty. Lets say I'm an out of town student of CAU. Out of all the people I see on a daily basis the ones who try to talk to me are rude obnoxious and far beyond ignorant and ghetto. Since they represent Atlanta all locals are deemed as such. F locals....thats what you sound like and i hate it.