Monday, January 7, 2008

Back to Business...

I sat on the bus, pieces of my patience being left behind at each stop we took, wondering when I would get to my destination- the building with the huge clock (that I wanted in my room) on top. It seemed we were going everywhere but THERE! I was already late due to grabbing a quick breakfast- a bagel an Vitamin Water, and I was trying to get out of the 'being late on the first day is fine' thought process.
Finally we got to the building, and I walked inside, rushing to find room 2**- luckily I was already on the second floor. I looked to the right, peered to the left,and there it was. That wasn't that hard! I hurried to the door, then saw another student in front of me making his way to the same room. I let out a breath of relief. Misery loves company.
We both walked into a 10:30 class at 10:38. The class was lecture style, not huge, yet big enough.
"Cap off, please." Were the first words Mr. Prof said to me.
'Not the Yankee! It matched my outfit FWESH!'
I thought it, but I wouldn't dare say it, I've long grown out of my class clowning days. Remembering what I used to do made me smile.
I walked to an empty seat, tunnel vision focused, and sat down. The look he gave me as I walked away made me realize that he wasn't one to think that being late on the first day was fine.
I looked up at the prof, and he made a 'take of your damn hat' motion.
"Oh!" I said as I took it off. I forget so easily...haha.
"For those that came in late, write this down..." The instructions began. I sized him up as I jotted down words coming from his mouth. He looked like a mean, southern, racist man- and had the drawl to match. Freckles, red hair, and a pot-belly gave that away. Throughout class I came to the realization that he didn't play, but wasn't hard. He explained all we had to do in the class to pass- which was the obvious. He cracked little jokes (the IRS will kill you and EAT you- emphasis on the 'EAT'), and seemed like he was more than willing to help if you needed it, but he wasn't going to chase you down to do it. My stereotypical thoughts faded away.
Twenty minutes later, after going over a few things, he let us leave early with a special choice of words- "Be careful. It's dangerous out there."
Yep...we're back to business.
Better get to the homework :-/

No comments: